Maths Recovery Instruction is problem-based and from a constructivist perspective thus fitting with Ireland’s Maths curriculum. Emphasis is placed on students reflecting on their own mathematical thinking. Direct and intensive teaching is a key feature of the instructional approach.
Maths Recovery instruction focuses initially on developing
- a facility with number words and number word sequences,
- the ability to recognise, identify and write numerals,
- emerging strategies for adding and subtracting,
- emerging knowledge of hundreds, tens and ones,
- emerging methods of notation in arithmetic, and,
- early multiplication and division.